Since PayPal users can add a credit or debit card to their accounts, a lot of people have been wondering where it is possible to use a virtual visa card on PayPal. Virtual Visa cards are becoming more and more popular after all. In this article, I investigate whether you can use a virtual visa card on PayPal or not.
You can add a virtual visa card to PayPal. However, PayPal doesn’t accept all virtual visa cards. If you are able to link your card successfully, you can start spending money from it.
One of the advantages of making payments or purchases online through PayPal is that you can make payments without the seller seeing the details of your card. This is a lot safer than you entering your card details on several e-commerce sites. And this is one of the main reasons behind the popularity of PayPal as it protects users.
Continue reading to learn how to add a virtual visa card to your PayPal account.
How to add a virtual visa card to your PayPal account
You can add a virtual card to your PayPal account. PayPal however does not support some virtual cards. But I don’t think this should be a problem if you are using a reputable virtual card issuer. Below are steps you can take to add a virtual visa card to your PayPal account:
- Log in to your PayPal account through the PayPal website or app. Then click on “Profile” on your homepage. After that, select “Update Card” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Add a Card” option that you’ll find on the “Debit and Credit Cards” screen to link your virtual visa card to your PayPal account.
- Wait for the “Add Debit or Credit card” screen to load and then choose the “Card Type” drop-down menu. Since you are adding a Visa card, you select “Visa” after which you’ll have to enter your card information – card number, expiration date, and the three-digit verification number from the back of the card.
- The billing address of your card has to match the address on your PayPal account. If they do not match, you’ll have to click on the “Enter a new address as Billing Address” button, then go on to enter your information in the input fields that appear below it.
- Complete the process by clicking on the “Add Card” button. PayPal will then confirm that your card has been added to your account.
After successfully adding a card to PayPal, you’ll still have to verify the card. Below are the steps by which you can verify your virtual visa card on PayPal.
- Log in to your PayPal account through the website or app. Go to “Profile” on the homepage and click on it. Then select “My Money” from the drop-down menu. In the “My Profile” list of financial sources, look for the Visa card you added to your account. Then choose the “Update” option which can be found next to the listing to load the “Debit and Credit Cards” screen for your Visa card.
- Click on the “Confirm My Card”, then click on “Continue”. Alternatively, you can select the “Link and Confirm My Card” and then click on “Save and Continue”. Whichever option you use under your visa card. You’ll be charged $1.95 by PayPal as part of the verification procedure.
- Go to your visa statement and find the $1.95 security charge by PayPal. There will be a four-digit code along with the charge on your statement. Log in to your PayPal account and click on “Profile”, then choose “My Money.”
- Find the Visa card like you did earlier and then choose “Update”. After that, select the “Enter PayPal Code” option and type in the code from your Visa card statement. When you are done, select the “Confirm Code” option to complete the process.
Can I get a virtual card from PayPal?
Yes, you can get a virtual card from PayPal through the PayPal key service. PayPal Key is a virtual card and a new way to use your PayPal account anywhere cards are accepted online. Your PayPal key can be used anywhere a MasterCard is accepted.
Here’s how PayPal Key works:
Choose a payment method from your PayPal Wallet
Receive a secure PayPal Key with its own virtual card number, expiration date, and security code
Save the PayPal Key to your browser for faster checkout or use it as you would any card online
Take PayPal Key anywhere you shop online
PayPal Key is not a new credit card so there’s no lengthy application or credit check. Plus, you won’t pay any set-up or usage fees*. PayPal Key is your PayPal Wallet with greater flexibility.
*A foreign transaction fee applies to cross-border and cross-currency transactions. Usage fees charged by merchants or other entities besides PayPal may apply.PayPal
You can add your PayPal Key to:
Web browsers (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer)
Google Pay (online only)
Currently, PayPal Key does not work with Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
PayPal key can be used anywhere a MasterCard is accepted as I said earlier – over the phone, online- and you still earn points in the same way you would with any card in your account
Can I buy a virtual visa gift card with PayPal?
Visa gift cards have become one of the most popular gift cards available today simply because they are widely accepted by millions of retailers. And for those wondering if you can buy a virtual gift from PayPal, the answer is yes.