Discord, originally released in 2015, has been a game-changer for users, most especially gamers in terms of communication and interaction within an application or game. The app already offers tremendous value as a free voice, messaging, and video app and also recently launched its “Go Live” feature that allows users to interact with themselves, creating the best experience for them. But can users stream Virtual Reality applications and games on Discord?
With the “Go Live” feature on Discord, and using the SteamVR application, users can share their VR screens with their friends giving them a live view of what they are doing or games they are playing.
The Virtual Reality space is evolving and it does make sense for chat applications to integrate an interaction platform into VR devices to aid better experience for users. In this article, I will shed more light on how to use Discord with your Virtual Reality devices.
Can You Stream VR On Discord?
Your Virtual Reality screen can be shared with other users on the same server as you using Discord. As Discord is an application that allows developers, gamers, and other tech enthusiasts to interact within a server that aids messaging, voice, and video chat, there was a need to create a feature that helps users share their experience with other users live hence, the launch of the “Go Live” feature.
The Go Live feature was created with the intent to provide a better user experience for Discord’s users. With over 250 million registered users, the platform’s mission to make the platform easy-to-use becomes a continuous goal being achieved with each upgrade the application rolls out.
Discord’s history hails from a gamer creating a platform for other gamers to interact. Today, the platform has grown from just a platform used by gamers to a platform used by businesses all over the world for communication and business development. The platform has now grown to become a competing alternative to giants in the industry such as Slack and Microsoft Teams.
All base features of Discord can be installed and used for free. From creating an account to building a server to having a single server that supports up to 250,000 members and 25,000 simultaneous online users, all of these features can be used for free. Although accounts can be upgraded to Discord Nitro to enhance your server’s video and live-streaming functions and limits, for most users, this isn’t compulsory.
Although Incorporating the screen share feature with your VR for a better gaming experience might seem like a hassle, Discord has made it easy with some functions and steps.
Now you can get other users to see what you see in your Virtual Reality headset, you can also interact with other gamers with the Discord overlay in your Virtual Reality environment.
How To Stream VR On Discord
There are several ways to stream VR on Discord. The most seamless way includes using SteamVR. To begin streaming your VR On Discord, follow these steps:
- Launch your Discord application.
- Create a server and add your friends by manually adding them or sharing the links with them.
- Install SteamVR.
- Install the game you’d like to stream with your friends.
- Launch SteamVR and make sure SteamVR is running in your background.
- Launch your game.
- Head on to Discord to begin your live stream. Discord should show your game in your server’s navigation panel.
- Click on STREAM “GAME NAME”. You’ll be directed to a pop-up to confirm the beginning of your stream.
- Click on STREAM.
You can automatically launch SteamVR with your game but most times, the streaming on Discord might break or malfunction. Hence, why you should manually launch SteamVR first and make sure it’s running before launching the game and beginning the stream.
Alternatively, you can add Discord to your Oculus Quest Virtual Reality environment using SideQuest.
How To Stream VR With Sound
Most times, the reason why while streaming a VR, the audio doesn’t work is due to the steps followed to launch the stream. As discussed above, launching the game before SteamVR could get the stream to break. Sometimes the video plays but the audio is mute.
To solve this, here are the steps:
- Make sure to start SteamVR before launching the game.
- In the SteamVR settings, you should see a tab that allows you to set audio to a primary device. Set it to your VR headset audio.
- After launching SteamVR and setting your audio, launch the game.
- Make sure to start the game before beginning the stream in Discord.
- When you start the stream, you get to choose what you want to stream. Choose the game. You’ll be directed to a popup to confirm the beginning of your stream.
If you automatically launch SteamVR with the game, you could lose the audio of the game while streaming.
How To Stream VR On Discord Oculus Quest
To stream VR on Discord using the Oculus Quest headset, the only process to stream is through “Casting”.
Casting is the process of projecting what you see in your VR headset to your pc for live streaming or sharing. There are several ways to cast your VR, these include- Using a Chrome Cast, using the Oculus casting website, or using audio and webcam devices. The most cost-effective method is by using the Oculus casting website hence the steps to use this method will be discussed as follows:
- Visit the Oculus casting website using your browser.
- Login to the website using your associated Oculus/Facebook account.
- Click on the “Share” and “Cast” options in your headset. Once clicked you’ll see “Computer” listed as one of the options.
- Click “Computer”. This will let you cast to your pc, including the audio.
Just in case the audio doesn’t work, here are the steps to get it to work:
- Startup Virtual Desktop from your Oculus apps.
- Once in the app, click on the Virtual Desktop menu.
- Navigate to settings and enable audio pass-through on the headset in the Virtual Desktop settings.
Why Skyrim VR Won’t Stream On Discord
The reason Skyrim VR won’t stream on Discord is that, when Skyrim VR is open, Discord will show the “Stream SteamVR” button which is what you don’t want to press even though it shows the game window because it won’t work. To fix this, always minimize SteamVR after the game is running and before beginning your stream.