LG TVs are known for having excellent picture quality and sound quality.
Some TVs, however, can come up with pop-ups and ruin your experience watching or listening.
Making use of your TV easier and more enjoyable will be made much easier by blocking pop-ups.
Here are the possible causes of pop-ups appearing on your LG TV, so you don’t have to deal with them each time you watch television.
The purpose of this article is to explain how to avoid and dismiss these ads so that you will not be bothered by them every time you watch television.
One of the simplest ways to block ads on LG TV is by blocking ads at the router. Though it is a technical method, you will not see any further ads on your television screens.
Keep your TV in Home Mode
Store mode is put on TVs when you see them in the store.
When you bring the TV home, it may still be in store mode and display more pop-ups than needed.
You can avoid pop-ups by keeping the TV in the home mode:
- Select “Menu” using the remote control.
- After that, select “Options.”
- Now choose the “Initial Setting.”
- You can choose what language the TV should be in.
- Now choose the “Home Use” option.
You see pop-ups on your TV for various reasons, but this is the most common reason.
You can try some of the methods below if you already have the TV set to home mode and you still get pop-ups.
Block Live Plus
LG TVs may display pop-up ads because of the “Live Plus” feature, which tracks your viewing and listening habits.
You’ll see pop-ups when the TV thinks you will like what it has seen in the past.
To stop Live Plus tracking and the resulting ads, you can disable Live Plus by following the given steps:
- Choose Settings from the remote.
- Click on “All Settings.”
- Go to “General.”
- Make your selection from Live Plus.
- Click “Off.” to turn it off.
If you would like to limit the number of ads you see, you may want to turn off Live Plus and personalized settings as well:
- Make sure you have “All Settings” selected.
- Then click on “General.”
- Select the option saying “About This TV.”
- Now choose the “User Agreements.”
The ads must be opt-out, but certain TV features require you to agree to them.
Avoid Using Smart Features Until Required
Once you have turned the smart features on, the software on your TV can record functions you use and then use it to create ads you might like based on the things you’ve done.
Even if you’re not streaming or using the internet, you don’t always have to use the smart features.
Here are the steps you need to take:
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Click on the network you want.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- It is recommended that you delete the network password.
It’s impossible to turn off Wi-Fi on a smart TV, so you must delete your password to disconnect from the internet.
If you don’t require the smart features of your router, you can unplug it.
The downside is you can’t connect any devices to the Wi-Fi if the router is off.
If any of the following applies to you, you do not need the smart features of your LG TV:
- A DVD player is in use.
- A gaming console such as Xbox or another is being used.
- It’s the HDMI output that you’re using.
Block Ads at the Router
Owners of LG TVs believe that their relationship with LG ends when they hand them money and receive a TV which is not the case.
Well, even after you purchase the TV, you might see various pop-up ads by LG on your television.
A television manufacturer should not be allowed to show you advertisements at a time, place, or in a manner that suits them.
If you recall, television ads used to appear during specific breaks – which people used to call “commercials” – to give viewers a chance to use the restroom, make popcorn, or do other activities that did not require them to watch a TV commercial.
Today, the companies pretend that for $5, you agree to be tracked and advertised across any device you use.
That’s not the case, so put an end to it now by blocking ads at the router.
Another common way to block LG TV ads is to disable the ads directly through the router.
More technical expertise is required to perform this task, and it may take a bit more time.
The good news is that this method is one of the most effective ways to stop seeing ads.
Here is a quick overview of what you need to do:
- 192.168.0.1 should be entered in your web browser when you are using a computer.
- For your router, type the required information, such as username and password.
- Under the configuration page that appears, look for Firewall or Block Sites. Additionally, you can search for Parental Controls, Content Filtering, and Security.
- After you type in the filters, click the link for the configuration page.
- If it asks for a keyword or domain name, type the name of the IP address you would like to block there.
- Click the Add button.
- After configuring your settings, click Apply at the bottom.
- The new settings will take effect after you reboot your router.
You should block the following IP addresses on most LG TVs:
You might also wonder whether you can block these IP addresses from Wi-Fi or not.
A single computer can be blocked from accepting IP addresses from another computer by configuring the computer Hosts file.
Each computer on the network connects to the internet through a router, the home network’s center.
To block IP addresses across your entire network, you will need to configure your router.